Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 03

Day 3 of 30-Day Challenges

Allow me to introduce to you the characters of my favorite TV show -

Meet (from left to right) Greg (seated), Warrick, Catherine, Nick,
Grissom (seated),  Brass , Sarah (seated), and Doc Robbins

They are the original members of the graveyard shift of Las Vegas Police Department's Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) Unit.

I have been a fan of the show way back in 2007, seven years after it first premiered on American television. I was first introduced to this show on one lazy weekend by my best friend. After watching the first two episodes, I couldn't let go of it, I had to borrow the whole set of DVDs from her. Since then, I familiarized myself with police codes, investigative procedures, and even medical terms. I learned about GSRs, DNAs, fingerprints, shoe prints, tire tracks, traces, and bugs.

What sets CSI apart from different from other crime shows is the set of characters. The characters develop the story. They push the show to evolve. Each character is complex. Each comes from different backgrounds. Each of them is flawed. Each is excellent in breaking the case.

Take Grissom, for example. He was an accomplished doctor ("PhD, not MD," he stressed) and scientist. He studied bugs and animals. He was in fact a genius. But, of course, having a high IQ doesn't necessarily translate to having a high EQ. Thus, he only depended on his teammate and friend, Catherine, when he  needed to deal with people outside his department.

 Another interesting factor about this show is the different plots and settings. The writers are so imaginative that they could come up with peculiar ways of dying, or killing. CSI also showcased new crime-solving techniques and technology. Sometimes, I would imagine my own country would have the most sophisticated tools and equipment in solving even the pettiest crimes, making us a progressive nation, instead of a backward one.

CSI is now on its twelfth season. Changes have been made. Characters have been killed, promoted, demoted, moved, and newly-added. Technology is revolutionary. But, two things remain in Las Vegas. One, crime never sleeps. And two, to solve each crime, one must follow the evidence.

***

This is the cheesiest song that I have heard, next to Grow Old with You. But, when Adam Sandler sings it, cheesiness would be forgotten, and all I can think of is happiness and the movie 50 First Dates. 


This song is called Forgetful Lucy.