Wednesday, May 20, 2009

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

I admit I never liked my name. I cringe each time someone calls me Aprilmae, or worse Aprilmae Ester. This embarrassing situation usually happens in class; and is usually followed by a more embarrassing and annoying questions like "Were you born on April or May?" I try to keep myself from rolling my eyes and let out a loud "DUH?!"

Why wasn't I given a more sophisticated name like
Sofia? I always like that name. Or something of royalty like Isabella. Or an exotic one like Saleisha. Or my parents could have tweaked my name a little and make it Avril. My list of "I Wish It Were My Name" would go on forever.

One night I was surfing the Net ,and found the meaning of the name April. Its origin is Latin, and meaning is "opening."

I also stumbled upon this
very interesting site, in which parents could get ideas in naming their newborn babies. I found some information gathered fromt the web site's name survey where people with name April were asked if they like their name. 864 people answered the survey and the feedback follows:


Those who were bullied are the ones who, like me, were asked stupid questions like "Were you born in April?" and being called "Ape" (short for April) at one point.

So I'm not alone. Somehow other girls named April do appreciate the name. I gotta learn how to love my own name. Hey, one even commented how she likes how her name sounds... it's "melodic and sweet."

PS - I also found out that Mae is English for "Flower," while Ester is derived from the Persian language that means "Star." Lastly, Pheng is Chinese for "Duckweed."

Scruffy Little Dog
2009.05.06